Curiosity can positively impact a person's performance at work, not to mention boost happiness and reduce anxiety.
We often hear about curiosity killing the cat. But for humans, curiosity can have a positive impact on our social, emotional, and psychological wellbeing. Experiencing new and novel things releases dopamine in our brain, otherwise known as the "feel good chemical." Studies have shown that curious people tend to be happier, experience lower levels of anxiety, and report higher satisfaction with life. But wait, there's more: curiosity can also increase a person's performance and achievement at work.*
For this challenge, we opted for Journey mode and the Cross-Country Adventure theme. There's nothing quite like a road trip into the unknown to rev up curiosity. Who knows what you'll discover next!
Challenge Mode: Journey, Cross-Country Adventure Map Theme
Duration: 10 days
Goal: A sample goal might be to aim for 2 miles per day, for a total of 20 miles.
Note: Use the MoveSpring Admin Center's reporting and dashboard to determine your group's average daily distance moved.
Our content strategy focuses on educating participants on the importance of curiosity and creativity. We highlight the benefits of being curious, how to practice being curious and creative, as well as inspiring stories of highly curious people.
- Better Brainstorming
- Six Surprising Benefits of Curiosity
- 8 Habits of Curious People
- Seven Ways to Be More Curious
- How to Be Creative
- Learning to Think Outside the Box
- Steve Jobs Systematically Cultivated His Creativity. You Can Too.
- The Value of Curiosity
- The Surprising Habits of Original Thinkers
- 4 Lessons in Creativity
- Curiosity Is Your Super Power
- Finding Curiosity
- This is Your Brain on Curiosity
- The Power of Curiosity
Note: Be sure to include a content module in your challenge, then upload and schedule the above articles and videos.
We recommend following a points-based raffle strategy to avoid consistently rewarding the same group of top steppers. For this challenge, you can award one point for joining the group, one point per milestone unlocked, one point for completing the journey, and then 3 points to the people with the top 3 challenge scores (furthest distance moved). At the end, hold a raffle. Each person will have as many raffle entries as total points accumulated throughout the journey challenge. Draw a random winner and award a curiosity themed prize!
Curiosity-themed Prize Ideas
- Book: Originals: How Non-Conformists Move the World
- Book: Creative Confidence: Unleashing the Creative Potential Within Us All
- Book: The Art of Innovation: Lessons in Creativity from IDEO, America's Leading Design Firm
- Tickets to a Tedx talk of your choice
- An extra-curricular class focused on learning a new skill of your choice. This could be a pottery class, a General Assembly class, guitar lessons, learning a new language, or maybe even yoga teacher training! There are many companies that offer digital classrooms as well: MasterClass, Udemy, Coursera, Linda, Skillshare, and Treehouse are just a few.
- Subscription to an app that helps you learn a new language, such as Duolingo.